Sunday, April 12, 2009

I like me best when I am with you... i want to see you again!

Lately I have been reviewing my life and the people that have come and gone.  I am awash with gratitude for relationships current past and future.  I have had many wonderful and edifying relationships over the years.  But there have been a few that have profoundly affected who I have become.  People that have made me want to say, "I like me best when I am with you. I want to see you again!"  

When I was in high-school I had a friend named Jeff.  He was probably one of the more popular guys in the whole school and had a magnetic personality.  At our school there was a courtyard with a pseudo-stage where the "cool" seniors always sat.  Jeff and I were accustomed to sitting there with our friends at lunch.  One day as we stood in the lunch line I noticed Jeff hung towards the back of the line.  

As everyone hustled to get their lunch and get to the bench I kept my eye on Jeff.  As he finished paying for his meal he walked over to the back corner of the lunch room.  There, sitting by himself, was a disabled boy in a wheelchair who had very limited and shaky motor skills.  He struggled to get his lunch into his mouth.  Jeff took a seat next to him and, with the table to themselves, they ate lunch together.  

Tears welled up in my eyes as I saw the character of Christ being reflected in my friend.  In that moment my life changed.  I awoke to a sense of my selfishness.  I knew that I wanted to be like that.  I wanted to see others before myself.  Jeff had no idea that anyone saw his act.  In fact, he tried to be very discreet. His heart was in the right place.  He made me "Want to be the best that I could be.... and I wanted to be around him more often!"

While I have fallen extremely short of this state of mind.  I find it inspiring to see those around me who just seem to live it.  It seems to be a part of who they are.  I am going to try to post more of these stories soon... they have changed me so I want to share them with those that are close to me.  Will you share any similar experiences with me?  They inspire me and I would love to hear them.  Send me an email at jake.randall@yahoo.com if you want to keep them private.



1 comment:

Cali said...

Experiences make up who we are- this is an awesome idea... and good for all of us to reflect on what and who has made us who we are. I love it.