Thursday, November 27, 2008

Multitasking Malarky!


At work the other day we did an experiment to prove that multitasking is a myth.  I encourage you to try it.  Grab a pen, some paper, and a stopwatch.  Now start the timer and write the phrase:

"Multitasking is worse than a lie"

Then number each letter just below

M U L T......
1   2  3  4.....

Now click stop on your stopwatch and record the time.  

Now try to create the same result by numbering the letters as you go.  So as you put down the "M" place a "1" below it. Then write the letter "U" and put a "2" below it.  Do not cheat when you do this and make sure you alternate writing a letter and then a number.  

Stop the time and compare how less efficient you are on the second try.  Computers just like Humans can only perform one task at a time.  Computers can switch back and forth between tasks so fast that it appears to do it simultaneously but it still loses efficiency.  

I believe this exercise came from a book called "the Multitasking Myth" and the book highlights that text messaging and instant access to email on our phones has actually made us less productive because we lose time when we change from subject to subject.  

I wonder how much time I would save if I focused on each task with all my attention before I moved onto the next one.  I have heard of a lot of CEO's that close their doors for a certain period of the day when no one is allowed to reach or interrupt them.  These practitioner's all claim that they get much more accomplished in these times than any other time.

1 comment:

Kylee said...

I believe it! Every once in a while I have a technology fast. Where I don't check my email, use my cell phone, etc. I am always amazed at what I get done, what I find to do instead, and how much I didn't really miss.

Glad I found your blog I'm looking forward to lots more words of wisdom! Happy Thanksgiving.