Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Balancing yourself: Do more in less time!

All work and no play make Jake a dull boy!  This cliche term holds a lot of value for me and I often catch myself falling into the trap of an unbalanced life!  Lately I have been working my brains out and incorporating play less.  This is a classic trap that people fall into....Especially me.  Because we actually work much more efficiently when we have a balanced life!  I have a friend Kyle who is extremely good at balancing life.  He goes waterskiing once a month and has been doing so for 48 months in a row!  He also is an avid hunter and fisherman.  Sometimes I am baffled by the amount of play he gets done in a month... However, he is a very successful and busy guy who works like a horse and gets things done!  I admire his ability to work and play hard!  

I have noticed that the more time I put towards church activities, helping people, and taking time for myself to recreate, the more efficient I am.  There is a lot to be said about the efficiency one gains by taking time off.  An old study on memory and brain activity may have some application here:  Subjects were given a list of random syllables to memorize.  One group was to go through the list 60 times in one sitting and memorize as much as possible.  The other group was told to go over the list a total of 38 times but to spread it over the course of a couple of days. The end result was that those who had reviewed the list only 38 times could recall much more than those who had gone over it 60 times!  Maybe we are more efficient in spurts sometimes rather than in long hours!  Just some food for thought.

Does anyone have any feelings on this?  I would be interested to hear of any experiences or applications anyone has experienced.. please post!


4 comments:

Chandler Treasure Chest said...

I definitely agree that we must have balance in our lives. Some may disagree, but I believe the phrase "there is opposition in all tihngs" is a perfect quote on balance. To know the good, you must experience the bad, to know light you must have darkness. Therefore, balance...

However, in relation to this posting, I have realized in my own life that when I am staying busy (with a balance, or wide variety of tasks, activities, etc) I get so much accomplished and feel good about myself. And then there are times like right now for example, where I feel like I don't do enough, and so I have a long list of unchecked items b/c I lose motivation. I have been focusing so much on work lately (kind of a necessity) but this particular job I have had feels like it is sucking the life right out of me. That's probably a subject for another time, but basically I have too much of a negative thing right now, and not enough positive to balance it out.

I will get there though, we all can.

The Student said...

Thanks for you comment T*Raw! I know exactly how you feel. it seems like we ebb and flow more that we would like! Great insight!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog and your insights. They are brilliant! So Balance is a great word...this subject of balancing work and play reminds me of some gospel principles. After Adam and Eve got kicked out of the Garden of Eden, the Lord commanded Adam and Eve to till the earth, to have dominion over all the beasts of the field and to eat their bread by the sweat of their brow. The Lord also says,Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. In essense, I believe God's saying, "I'm giving you a chance to become like me, and if you work hard, you can play hard! I love that God gives us these outstanding commandments to make us outstanding children. My mother is a great example to me of leading a balanced life. She works hard all day every day(even till 3 or 4am) but she's the biggest party animal I know! She lives in the moment without dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. She reacts to situations and as a result she accomplishes everything that comes her way! Every opportunity that presents itself, she jumps at it. She lives life to the fullest. She doesnt even skip a beat, when she sees or hears about someone in need she jumps to action whipping up some homeade soup or fresh rolls. She's a great example to me. She makes me want to push myself to be my BEST self. Her famous saying around our house is, "Life is what you make it!" I've come to accept that philosophy in my life and I LOVe my life!

Anonymous said...

I think you are an amazing young man! My hats off to you for being such an insightful person! Thanks for your inspirational performance as narrator in Saints and Pioneers. Some day I look forward to meeting you. But you better brush up on your nertz game. Because I am the campionship reigning Queen. Hope you trip to Honduras was amazing and safe. Czech out Me (mother of Miss Annonymous)!