Thursday, December 4, 2008

Creative creatures killed by habit

We are very unique beings with enormous creative potential.  But we are also creatures of habit.  Have you ever left work, found yourself in your driveway at home, and realized that you couldn't remember much about the actual ride home?!  I know I have! 

We develop habits easily as humans and in many ways it is good for us!  A routine can ensure efficient use of time when performing activities that need to be done on a regular basis.  However, when it comes to creativity and problem solving, a routine may be holding us back from looking at things from another angle.  If I don't rearrange my furniture in my room at least once a quarter, I feel like my creative juices get drained! 

Sometimes, I will take my laptop to the other side of the office and work in a cubicle just to get a change of scenery.  Sometimes a simple change of location will heighten our senses.  This heightening increases our brain activity and allows us to see things on a different mental frequency. 

So if you are in a rut then change something up!  Rearrange your furniture, take a walk in the middle of your work day, do some research in the bathtub, change up your work-out schedule. 

There is a new theory in the physical training world called muscle confusion (see P90X).  The idea is that your body becomes accustomed to a particular workout overtime and it becomes less effective as time goes by.  The theory suggests that doing different workouts every time will keep your muscles guessing and you can get in shape/lose weight faster because your body doesn't get used to a stagnant workout.  Perhaps there is an application in our mental work-outs as well...

Just a reflection.

2 comments:

Bob said...

At my previous job, I would occasionally work from the conference room or a nearby library or coffee shop just for a change of venue to help me focus, with much success.

The Student said...

That is awesome! I am glad to see I am not the only one out there with this problem! I am getting frustrated at work right now because my desk only works in one corner of my office! I want to switch it up a little!!!! So sometimes I take my laptop into the conference room. Thanks for the comment Bob! Good to hear from you! Hope all is well!