Sunday, December 7, 2008

Goal Setting....The experiment!



I read an interesting fact about goal setting recently.  A study was conducted at Harvard in 1979 and was published in a book called "What They Don't Teach You In The Harvard Business School."  In 1979, MBA graduates were asked "Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?"  Only 3% of them had written goals and plans while 13% had goals that were not in writing.  the remaining 84% had no set goals.

Ten years later, now 1989, these people were interviewed a second time to see where they came out.  The 13% who had unwritten goals were on average earning 2x as much as the 84% with no goals.  A very surprising statistic in itself.  But the biggest surprise was that the 3% was earning, on average, 10x as much as the other 97% combined!  

I decided to put this to the test a couple of months ago.  (Obviously the test is ongoing and will not be finished for a number of years).  So I wrote my goals down on paper and took them to get laminated.... I now carry those goals with me everywhere I go!  It is very empowering to feel it in my back pocket when I sit down. It goes everywhere my wallet does.  Since I have them on me, I read them often, and they stay on the forefront of my mind; motivating me to do things to accomplish them!  I will give an update every year or so to see where I come in.  I set 10 goals down on paper using a combination of methods from "Think and Grow Rich" as well as Brian Tracy's 10 Goal Method.

Basically I wrote them out in present tense (i.e. "I earn $xxx,xxx per year)
Then added a definited date next to them (i.e. "I earn $xxx,xxx per year by xx/xx/xxxx")
Then I wrote a paragraph about what I was going to do to get there.  
I am trying to read them each morning and night (I am not perfect at it yet....).

Does anyone have some interesting experiences with goal setting that they would like to share?  I think this would be a fun experiment if some people raised their hands and said "I am in.... I want to make some goals and be part of this experiment."  If any of the people that read this blog (all three of you! ha ha jk) are interested we could conduct this little private experiment together and see what happens.  Contact me if you are interested.

6 comments:

Eric said...

I must admit, my mission to Spain killed every desire I've ever had to set goals. 104 weeks of failed goals has tormented me ever since and I just can't seem to do it.

Know any goal-setting books I should read over my 5 week long Christmas break?

The Student said...

Have you ever read "Think and Grow Rich"? It is not completely about goals but it is about changing the way you think about goals. I really liked this book. It has some gospel principles in it... It also has a few "liberal" ideas that might be a little strong but overall it was one of my favorite books about goal setting and achieving.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for New Year resolutions/goals!!!

Sara said...

I came across your blog randomly - I'm definitely interested in seeing how accomplishing goals is related to writing them down. It seems appropriate for the new year as well :)

The Student said...

Thanks Sarah! Please keep me updated on your experiment. I have my 10 goals written down and I am trying to review them twice a day! It is working because I am keeping those thoughts on the forefront of my mind.

Chandler Treasure Chest said...

Oh, what the heck. I'll join your experiment! :) It's a New Year, and whatever last year's resolutions were are long forgotten or mostly unachieved, sadly...I will come up with a list of my goals and right them down...I don't know about 10 years, but I'll give this experiment a try all of 2009! How does that sound? Are we going to "check in" on goal achievement, or what? Anyhow, I'm in. :) YAY!