Sunday, December 7, 2008

To Be Great.... Surround Yourself With Greatness!

One of the interesting commonalities of successful people is the fact that successful people surround themselves with other successful people.  Andrew Carnegie, one of the richest men to ever live, attributed his entire fortune to surrounding himself with a group of great people who had common goals to change the Steel Industry!  Henry Ford surrounded himself with the likes of Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone, and others.  In fact, Henry spend vacations with Edison annually. 

There is a certain power that comes from aligning yourself with certain types of people.... it is the old principle that if you put a hard to catch horse in the same field as a tame horse, most of the time you end up with two hard to catch horses.  We tend to take on many of the ambitions, habits, and power of those whom we associate ourselves with.  This does not mean we should only hang out with great people, but there is a certain power that comes when you ALIGN your goals and desires with other like-minded people.  

In certain times of my life I have associated myself with people whom I admired and it raised me to a new level of what I wanted to be.  Certain people just inspire me to become more!  I love that feeling!  I have also worked with individuals who were satisfied with mediocrity... And it was much harder to motivate myself to produce above quality work.  

I would love to hear any feedback from any of my readers (all two of you!!! ha ha).  What do you think of this principle... Have you ever experienced something like this?

6 comments:

The Eazy Cheese said...

Ok, This is an eternal truth. One of the reasons I am who I am is because of my friends. I have surrounded myself with friends that take the gospel so seriously, which has launched me into a love and appreciation for Christ and the atonement. Likewise, in business I have been surrounded by some very successful people that have lofty goals and others that have already accomplished those goals.

The key is to become the person that others desire to be around. If you can be the person that is so strong in the gospel or business that others choose to align themselves with you, then you will not only be strengthened yourself but will be able to help those around you.

The Student said...

That is so true! I wouldn't be who I am today without some of my good friends in High School who aspired to greatness and inspired me to do something great as well. That is a great insight.

Anonymous said...

I have the privilege of interviewing 'successful people' and I agree working with them is very inspiring.

Andrew

The Student said...

That is great! I too have the privilege of associating with some very successful business coaches such as Brian Tracy, Jim Cathcart, and others. They are all involved in iLearningGlobal. Have you heard of it before? I looked at your website and thought you would be interested in it. It is a way that many speakers, coaches, and authors are reaching greater audiences worldwide. Shoot me an email and I can tell you about how it could benefit you jake.randall@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I like the thoughts... Question: How do you balance seeking friends of greatness and also befriending the weak of the world who may add to your character? All can be learned from...true? Perhaps the greatest association with true greatness is our association with Christ...

The Student said...

Great Point Anonymous. I think that all have greatness within them and we can learn from them. Perhaps by changing one's belief window or paradigm to seek for the greatness in all you will be able to draw on their greatness.

I believe it was Emerson who said that "In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil." When we learn to see people as Christ does, (children of diety or God's in the Chrystalis) then we can draw upon the greatness of all.

Great point.. Thanks for the input!